The German Marine Costal Battery Crisbecq was etablished by the Todt organisation
The construction of this German Coastal Battery of Crisbecq started on summer 1941
Two possible locations for the Battery were considered. The first one was on Mount Enaut near the village of Dodainville.
But it was the second position, above the hamlet of Crisbecq, village of St-Marcouf de l’Isle, eventually selected because of its altitude of 28 meters and its amazing view of the coast.
With the power of its 3 SKODA canons, The Battery could cover all seashore between St-Vaast la Hougue and La Pointe du Hoc
The construction of the battery began in the summer of 1941, overseen by the Third Reich civil and military engineering group (TODT), which installed it’s command post in the nearby castle of Germiny at St Marcouf de l’isle. Russian and Polish prisoners of war were used for the work and were housed in wooden barrack’s near the castle of Franqueville, near Sortosville. Later, in 1943, to accelerate the construction work, French workmen employed by the TODT organisation arrived from Paris and from Brittany to work on the construction site. The supply of cement and other necessary building materials for the construction of the bunker were shipped from the central depot of the TODT at the railway station in the village of Le Ham near Montebourg, and the cement was stored awaiting use in a sheepfold behind the battery.
At the first, the TODT built 5 dug-outs to receive 5 French 155 mm ST. Chamond canons, belonging to the 3rd battalion 1261 HKAR (Regiment of coastal artillery). In December 1942, the second phase of construction began, which concerned shelters and munitions dumps. Then, at the end of 1943, worked was started on the bunkers and dug-outs for the troops. Around, this time the command of the battery was handed over from the land forces to the navy (MAA 260 Navy coastal artillery group) based in Cherbourg, which installed 210 mm artillery. However, being too far away from the command headquarters, the outpost remained on detachement with the 3rd battalion of the 1261 HKAR, which itself was transferred to Fontenay with it’s 155mm artillery. To distinguish one from the other the Germans named the outpost the “Marcouf battery”.